ST. FRANCIS XAVIER CHURCH, LITTLE FALLS.
St. Francis Xavier (formerly San Salvador) Catholic church was situated in Little Falls, in block No. 57, Fourth Street, northeast. It was organized in 1867 by Rev. Ignatius Tomazin, a Croatian Priest working among the Indians with Father Buh, residing generally at Belle Prairie. Among the first membership may be recalled these: William Butler, Peter Roy. Louis Hamlin. Joseph Fournier, David Lachance, Nazaire Morin, Patrick Hayes, Thomas Hayes, Mrs. Nathan Richardson, Mrs. Joseph Lemieux (Batters) and others. The membership of this congregation in August, 1915, was about one hundred and sixty families. The following have served as pastors : Rev. Fathers Pierz, Tomazin, Buh, Chandonnet, Richard, Carufel, Fortier and the present priest, Father Lamothe.
Of the buildings, it may be recorded that the first building owned by the Catholics of Little Falls was the former office of the Little Falls Manufacturing Company, located on First street. In 1870 they bought of Calvin A. Tuttle a frame building which had been built by the Methodists. This church was used until Christmas of 1892, when the present brick edifice was dedicated to St. Francis Xavier and was then used for the first time. This was erected under the pastorate of Rev. Arthur Lamothe, at a cost around twenty-five thousand dollars. This is one of the influential Catholic churches of Little Falls and Morrison county, and is well cared for by the present pastor, who has every qualification for leadership in Catholic circles. He is greatly beloved and honored, not alone by those of his own flock, but also by all other denominations.